The Diversity & Public Education Team works to promote the positive benefits of immigration and to increase intercultural awareness in the province. We do this in two ways:
- Training – For over 20 years, the ANC has been delivering workshops and training on cultural diversity to businesses, government agencies, schools and community organizations across Newfoundland and Labrador. As the number of newcomers to the province continues to grow, our communities and workplaces are diversifying. Therefore, the importance of cultural intelligence and intercultural communication training is becoming increasingly imperative.
- Partnerships and Community Engagement – Our team is a point of contact for businesses and the community-at-large to learn more about supporting immigration, creating anti-racist spaces, and collaborating with community partners on increasing newcomer representation in our province. If you would like to explore an idea, project or partnership please contact us at Diversity@ancnl.ca
Business Diversity Training
Our customized workshops are designed to promote intercultural awareness and understanding while building cultural intelligence to help employers and employees work and interact more effectively with people from diverse backgrounds. These sessions are applicable across all workplaces and can be tailored to specific sectors (ie. health, business)
Introduction to Diversity & Inclusion
Exploring diversity and why it matters, this module provides an understanding of key concepts and it can be tailored to those working in any of the following contexts: business, healthcare, education and youth, translation and interpretation, criminal justice, and community organizations.
Business Case for Diversity
With the most rapidly aging population in Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador is increasingly challenged to secure stable and reliable sources of labour. This presentation maps immigration trends and explores the benefits and business value of diversifying the workforce and recruiting internationally-trained workers at all skill levels.
Cultural Competency Toolkit
A comprehensive package developed for employers covering a range of topics related to intercultural communication in the workplace to harness the skills of newcomer employees. The Toolkit is designed to align with the Cultural Intelligence Center curriculum, as a globally recognized standard for intercultural training. There are three individual modules in the Toolkit:
- Culturally Inclusive Hiring Practices – Guidance for removing bias and discrimination from hiring policies so that employers will hire the right candidate for the position, based on merit and skillset.
- Culturally Inclusive Workplaces – Practical tools for developing a positive environment and internal policies that are essential to creating an inclusive organizational culture.
- Introduction to Workplace Norms for Newcomer Employees – Designed for current or future newcomer employees, to assist them in becoming familiar with workplace norms and expectations in a Canadian workplace
* The Cultural Competency Toolkit workshops can be delivered separately or as a package
Supporting Immigration in Rural NL
Focusing on the importance of immigration for economic and cultural development of rural areas in the province, we will share success stories of communities that have sustained business ventures by attracting newcomer talent, and discuss options for recruiting international workers.
Promoting Anti-Racism: Being an Ally
A new 1.5-hour session specifically tailored to provide an immersive and respectful discussion on Racism and Discrimination. Learn more about the Anti-Racism movement, and the tangible ways to combat racism and support others!
COVID-19 & Racism
We analyze how the spread of the coronavirus brought about – and renewed – discrimination towards East-Asian communities, by walking through accounts of institutional racism in Canadian history, and identify direct and indirect racism when the virus first arrived in Canada
Training in the Education Sector
NL’s Diversifying Population: Guide for Educators
This presentation explores the province’s diversifying population and supports educators in creating an inclusive multicultural learning environment.
Deconstructing Diversity (Jr /Sr. High students)
Designed to be energizing, interactive and engaging, this module includes activities that are aligned with the specific curriculum goals of the English School District, tailored to explore concepts of diversity, inclusion and anti-racism.
Peace and Harmony (Primary/Elementary students)
This energizing activity and story-based cultural learning module is designed for youth in primary and elementary grades, exploring ideas around diversity, culture, inclusiveness and equality.
For more information, please contact:
- Phone: (709) 722-0718
- Email: email@example.com