PRIVATE SPONSORSHIP OF REFUGEES (PSR)
The ANC has a new online waitlist application for anyone interested in privately sponsoring a specific refugee to come to Newfoundland and Labrador.
- You can sponsor any individual or family who meets the definition of a refugee even if they are not registered with the UNHCR.
- The ANC is a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH) and can support eligible sponsors through the application process and resettlement year.
- The ANC has a sponsorship agreement with Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This agreement allows us to partner with Co-Sponsors who wish to help bring a refugee to live in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- IRCC provides our allocations or spaces for a calendar year, the amount of spaces tells us how many people we can help in a year and must be shared across the entire province.
- Spaces are very limited. We try our best to share them fairly amongst those who qualify as sponsors.
- IRCC has requirements that we must follow in selecting Co-Sponsors and the ANC will discuss this with you.
- As the Sponsorship Agreement Holder we help guide Co-Sponsors and Refugees abroad through the application, interview, and settlement process.
- You must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.
- You must also be living in Newfoundland and Labrador and the person(s) you are applying to bring to Canada should also plan to live in NL.
- You must be working.
- More than one Co-Sponsor can be listed on an application but at least one of you must be employed.
- You must be living in Newfoundland and Labrador for at least one year.
- You must be well-settled yourself before you are able to help someone else. While this often takes several years, there is a minimum of one year before you will be considered as a Co-Sponsor. We will look closely at your employment income, home and family situation, and other circumstances to ensure you are able to support a newcomer refugee to NL.
- You must have all of the sponsorship money saved.
- The ANC requires that all of the financial requirements are deposited to the ANC trust fund before the application is submitted. For more information on how the money works, see the financial section below.
- No money for the sponsorship can come from the refugee abroad.
- You must be working.
- The ANC makes the final determination on/if the application will be submitted.
Once you meet the basic requirements, the ANC has some additional guidelines to ensure you have the financial and emotional capacity you will need to support your new arrivals.
- You can submit a maximum of two (2) applications in a two (2) year period UNLESS you sponsor a larger family (4 people or more). If you sponsor a larger family, you can only submit one (1) application in a two (2) year period.
- You can only sponsor up to four (4) people outside of a single family application in a two (2) year period.
- We define sponsors by household — if your spouse has recently sponsored, the minimum two (2) year eligibility period also applies to you.
The ANC will make the final determination on who is eligible and ready for the responsibility of a PSR Sponsorship.
- We encourage you to fill out our online application now and then come back and update your information as your situation changes.
- Don’t worry – when you change your details you will keep your original date on the list. Keeping your details up to date will help us to know who is ready to start at any given time.
- Everyone who wants to sponsor must fill out this application form, even if you are already on the ANC list
- You will need a google account/email address (if you have an @ancnl.ca e-mail address, you can use that)
- You will not lose your place from the original list; just tell us on the form you are already on the list.
- You will remain on the list until you decide not to sponsor.
- You can come back and edit your information as your situation changes (for example, if you move, get a different job or finish saving the sponsorship money).
- It is you, as the co-sponsor, who will be placed on our list, not the refugee living abroad.
- We will send you an email confirmation as soon as your application is submitted.
- Once you have had an opportunity to submit an application to sponsor, you remain in our system but your waitlist date will change to reflect the last date you submitted an application.
Wondering how the Finances work with PSR Sponsorships?
- The minimum amount of money required is determined by IRCC and is based on family composition and living arrangements.
- You must be able to financially and emotionally support the new arrivals for the duration of one full year.
- The full amount of the sponsorship must be deposited to the ANC trust Fund before the application will be submitted.
- You will receive a receipt for the amount of money you provide.
- Your money will be held in our ANC trust account under your name for the specific application.
- Should the application be denied by IRCC all funds will be returned to you.
- The money will be provided to the newcomer every month for the full year. Should any money remain in the account after the newcomer’s resettlement year it will be returned to you. The ANC does not keep any of the funds.
- Absolutely NO money for the sponsorship can come from the refugee abroad.
- (This is an IRCC regulation. If you contravene it, your application will be cancelled and you would not be able to co-sponsor with ANC again.)
- Once the newcomer(s) arrive all the collected funds will be given to them. There will be a one time startup cheque and 12 monthly installments.
- The money collected is an estimate. If the cost of living increases, the co-sponsor could be expected to provide additional funds prior to newcomer arrival.
- Be prepared for other additional costs may arise.
- For an estimate on how much your sponsorship may cost, please click the link below:
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We ask for your patience!
It is hard when you are waiting for loved ones to move to Canada; they may be calling or e-mailing, asking you for a date they can travel. We understand how hard it is for everybody, but you should know that every time an ANC staffer talks to you or writes an email, they are not able to use that time to work on helping people get to Canada. You do not need to check to see if it is your turn to sponsor— we will be sure to let you know when it is. Contacting an ANC staff member will not move you higher on the waitlist.
We are here to support you and understand your concerns for family and friends. We do the best to help as many people as possible so please be patient as you wait to hear from us.