The Association for New Canadians is a non-profit, community based organization dedicated to
the provision of settlement and integration services for immigrants and refugees.
Job Title: Financial Assistant
Location: St. John’s, NL
Closing Date: September 25, 2020
Position Type: 1 full-time position to March 31, 2021, with renewal pending operational needs and funding approval
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Financial Assistant has a wide range of duties including accounting tasks to supporting the Association with purchasing, travel claims and liaising with vendors to meet the needs of the organization. This position requires compliance with standard accounting principles and the Association’s practices.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Process Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable for the organization
• Accept accounts receivable payments and accurately record in computerized system
• Prepare bank deposits and reconcile cash as required
• Organize and distribute daily mail
• General Administration Support for the Finance Department
• Responsible for ordering office materials and supplies for the organization
• Follow up and resolving discrepancies with invoices
• Processing employee travel bookings and claims
• Liaise with outside vendors for telecommunication and security requirements
• Maintaining databases
Qualifications and experience
• College diploma or certificate in Office Administration, Business Administration or related field AND 3 years’ experience in business administration and accounting/ bookkeeping
• Experience in maintaining electronic and manual filing systems
• Experience in data entry, data manipulation, and record-keeping
• Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite applications
• Experience in Simply Account (SAGE 300 preferred)
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Great attention to detail
• Able to adapt quickly to changing requirements
• Knowledge of the non-profit sector would be an asset
• Excellent time management, organizational, task planning and prioritization skills
Conditions of Employment
• Flexibility to work outside of core hours (Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
• Satisfactory Certificate of Conduct and Vulnerable Sector Check from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary
How to Apply
• Please email a cover letter and resume as one PDF or MS Word document to email@example.com.
The Association for New Canadians values inclusiveness and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The successful candidate will be required to submit satisfactory Certificate of Conduct from the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.