One of the first tasks for people moving to a new area is to find a permanent place to live.
The ANC provides assistance to newcomers looking for different types of housing.
If you have a large family, renting a house might be better. Other people prefer to rent an apartment in a house or apartment building.
There are many basement apartments available in most cities and towns. The advantage of those is that usually you may be able to use the back yard.
A single person might prefer to rent a room in a rooming house. If you choose to rent a room, you would normally share a bathroom and kitchen.
There are many things to consider when looking for a good area to live:
- Where will you be working or studying?
- If you do not have a car, is it close to bus routes?
- How much rent can you afford?
- Are you close to day care or schools?
- Does anyone in your family need a place with special accessibility facilities?
- Are you near grocery stores?